"Smelthytta" (the Smeltery)
This main building of the smelting works situated at "Malmplassen" (the ore yard) by the Hitterelva river, was, in its time, the centre point of the Røros community. From 1646 until 1953 the smelting of copper took place on this site. However, the copper smelting closed down altogether in 1953. In 1975 the building was totally destroyed by fire. The present "Smelthytta" museum has been built up on the ruins of the copper works' last smeltery.
"Smelthytta" has two permanent exhibitions: "Kobberverket" (The Copper Works) showing parts of Røros Copper Works' history, and "Ti finpussa" (In their finery), a display of fine clothing from the 1800s. The other exhibits in "Smelthytta" are changed from time to time.